Common Problems and Solutions
- If the bracket or band is still attached to the wire, leave it in place.
- If it is not uncomfortable, cover it with wax.
- Do not connect headgear or elastics to a loose bracket or band.
Lost Elastic or Wire Tie:
Please call our office to ask if an appointment is necessary.
Wire out of Tube:
Try to place the wire back into the tube using tweezers. If cannot get wire back in tube, place wax over it if it is uncomfortable and call for an appointment.
Try to slide the wire around to the other side. If unsuccessful, place wax on the wire and call for an appointment.
Poking Wire Tie:
Bend the wire back with a Q-tip or pencil eraser. If unsuccessful, place wax on it and call for an appointment.
Cover with wax and call for an appointment.
- If your headgear, or appliance does not fit properly, please call for an appointment.
- If you lost or broke your retainer, please call for an appointment.
- Soreness from braces: To help alleviate the discomfort, we recommend that you dissolve one teaspoon of salt in eight ounces of lukewarm water. Swish and gargle this solution in your mouth for just a couple of minutes (do not swallow the saltwater). If the discomfort is more severe, you may want to take a pain reliever such as Tylenol. If you are experiencing cuts or sores on your tongue, cheeks or lips, it may be helpful to place some wax on the brackets where the pain is. We should have provided you with wax at your last appointment. If we did not, please feel free to contact us.
- If you are involved in any accident that causes damage to the teeth or mouth please call your dentist or our office immediately.